The Canyon Keepers program offers concerned citizens a way to help protect the at-risk cultural heritage resources at Sloan Canyon NCA's Petroglyph Gallery area. Canyon Keepers create a presence on a regular basis at Petroglyph Canyon during high peak visitation hours to prevent vandalism and unwanted social trails that degrade the hill side and threaten the rock art that populates the area .
As a Canyon Keeper you would hike to and monitor the Petroglyph Gallery for two to four hours at a time on the weekends and during high peak visitation hours throughout the week. You'll be trained on the cultural, biological and geologic history of the area allowing you to answer questions about the rock art and encourage visitors to stay in the wash to view the petroglyphs. A key part of this duty will be Observing and reporting any illegal activities you witness on the proper trail monitor report form. Report will be submitted to the volunteer coordinator within 48 hours of the hike and monitoring.
- The volunteer will hike to the petroglyph gallery and stand or sit and monitor the other visitors to ensure that they do not touch the petroglyphs or climb up the side of the hill to view the petroglyphs
- The hike leader will pre-hike the trail before becoming a monitor at the Petroglyph gallery
- Canyon Keeper will provide the visitors with knowledge of the cultural resources and ways to help conserve them
- Observe and report any illegal activities you witness on the proper trail monitor report form. Report will be submitted to the volunteer coordinator within 48 hours of the hike and monitoring.
- Practice the proper check in and check out procedures before and after hiking in the field.
- Ability to communicate verbally
- Ability to effectively address large and small groups
- Knowledge of natural resources and cultural history of Sloan
- Physical ability compatible with hiking activity (4-6 miles of desert hiking per shift)
- Knowledge of trails at Sloan and level of difficulty
- Ability to walk in rough terrain
- Ability to work outdoors and unsupervised