Our Success Depends on You
The Friends of Sloan Canyon is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization providing community support and educational resources that enhance the conservation, protection and public enjoyment of Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area.
2017 was a productive year for the Friends group, including:
- Volunteers from the Friends community continue manning the information desk at Sloan's visitor contact station
- The launch of a major project to replace old trail posts and install new posts and other signage along sections of trail lacking such pointers
- Assisting BLM in coordinating it's trail monitor program reporting on conditions for all of Sloan's nearly 50 miles of established trails
- Coordinated stewardship activities maintenance program helping to keep Sloan trails in great shape.
- Assisting BLM in modifying its educational programs to follow current science standards for Nevada schools.
We're expanding on the work we've done this past year into 2018:
- Transitioning volunteer training and interpretive information on the NCA online using popular audio & video outlets such as YouTube and Facebook.
- Digitizing Sloan's trail monitoring program so volunteers can report trail conditions using their mobile devices
- Assisting BLM interpretive staff in executing in-class educational programs for 4th graders at many local schools in the area, including highlighting the Every Kid in a Park program
- Continuation of our trail post installation project
- Bringing two new programs to Sloan Canyon. Leave No Trace encourages responsible outdoor ethics while having fun on the trails. We'll also be holding a number of night sky/backyard astronomy events in 2018 inviting folks to the visitor center after hours to see what's visible using binoculars and small telescopes (spoiler alert: more than you may think!)
We can't do it, though, without participation from the community. You can help us fund these activities via a one-time donation or monthly contribution. All donations are tax deductible. If you have any questions about donating to the Friends of Sloan Canyon contact Jim Stanger at email@example.com or 702-907-6099.