If you can use basic landscaping tools you can make a difference helping to maintain local hiking, biking, and equestrian trails! Friends of Sloan Canyon is looking for volunteers to work on supervised stewardship projects focusing on the natural resources and trails of Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area. Maintenance projects are executed during cooler non-summer months in developed and undeveloped areas of the NCA. A schedule is distributed in advance, help out with one or many stewardship projects. A sample of tasks we accomplish include:
- litter pick-up and removal
- installation of carsonite posts (lifting up to 30lbs)
- clear multiple use and single use trails of brush
- remove graffiti next to trails
- remove undesirable plant/animal species
- re-vegetate areas
- trail route restoration and rehabilitation
- monitor trail signage and add signs as necessary with BLM staff approval
- repair/replace regular and trail signage as needed
- install barriers where potential illegal incursions occur
This is an opportunity to work in the great outdoors and have a direct positive impact on public lands, correcting or preventing damage to the natural resources. Help improve the recreational experience and trails for visitors to Sloan Canyon NCA.
Volunteers will be expected to:
- complete volunteer onboarding paperwork
- follow direction of trail supervisors
- learn and to use a variety of hand tools.
- work in rough terrain and potentially extreme temperatures.
- lift heavy loads, (up to 30 pounds).
- work as a team and /or individually.
- install carsonites into the ground with proper training.
That said, you'll never be asked to do something you feel you cannot do. Come have fun and get sweaty with us!